Monday, May 16, 2011

More Sherlock books and thoughts about writing.....







Murder in the Library is out!
Thanks to all who have written their very kind remarks about my new book, The Murder in the Library.
I am happy to have entertained you.  Combining the brilliant plot twists of Holmes with a modern mystery was a challenge and I'm delighted that you thought it worked.  I am looking forward to speaking at several book clubs this summer about the whys and hows of writing.

When my ship comes in and the airfare prices go way down I want to walk around London holding in my hand
Alistair Duncan's most excellent guide- Close to Holmes, Sherlock Holmes Historical London Book.  Many sites of interest are described as found in Holmes' day and as they appear today.  The book is chock full of interesting anecdotes about Victorian era London and I was very impressed with the depth and breadth of the Duncan's knowledge.  Make this part of your Holmes "curriculum," and you will not be disappointed!

Outstanding Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes by Gerard Kelly is another great collection of stories that continues the tradition that "the game is afoot!"  Mediums, stranglers, damsels in distress, the underworld are all portrayed by Kelly in the Doyle style.  One thing I liked about this collection is that the psychology of both Watson and Holmes are portrayed more fully.  We do learn about what they are feeling and their interaction is more developed.  As Victorians did not speak about "feelings" we are often left wondering as to the intentions of Holmes and Watson in the original canon; here Kelly gives us some insight into their personalities.  An excellent read.

Well, my dear hearts, it's time to get back on the merry go round of life after this sojourn of fiction, walking the streets of London (at least in my heart)  and wondering if Watson was ever really happily married!

No comments:

Post a Comment