Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sherlock and Dracula


I love Sherlock Holmes and I love Dracula, what more can I say?

Steven Seitz’s SherlockHolmes and the Plague of Dracula neatly blends the two casts from Doyle’s and Stoker’s books and makes it work.  Sherlock and Watson go off to Transylvania to find Jonathan Harker.  Watson, poor devil, is having drastic marital problems and hopes this trip will bring he and Mary back together.

Seitz keeps the ball rolling with severed heads and bitten breasts and of course lots of garlic. Gypsies lurk in the darkness. His use of images is very good and sometimes I had to shut my eyes (mentally) as an image became too real for me.  Does Sherlock Holmes become a vamp?  Does Mary?   Will Jonathan ever marry Mina? Or is he long gone?

My only caveat is that I didn’t need the Moriarty plot device at the end.  The book was sailing along well without it.  Other than that, a great read for me, right before Halloween.



check out my book The Murder in the Library translated into Italian.  Omicidio in Biblioteca available from Amazon.it.

No comments:

Post a Comment